Monday, August 27, 2012

Slow cooker Carnitas



I am on this whole using my slow cooker kick. Love using it. I found this one at a blog site called A Year of Slow Cooking. These carnitas where so simple and delicious. Even my kids ate some. This will be something I will make again.


2 pounds pork shoulder
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 large lime)
7 cloves of garlic (whole)
1/2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 cup beef broth
Corn tortillas (I used flour since I already had them)
Sour cream, salsa, sliced avocado (optional)

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the salt and cumin. Rub all over the pork, then plop into the slow cooker. Add whole garlic cloves. Squeeze on the citrus and pour the beef broth evenly over the top.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the pork shreds easily with a fork. If your meat is still fully intact after 8 hours, remove and cut into chunks, then return to the crock pot and flip to high for about an hour or 2.
Shred meat fully and serve on warmed corn tortillas with desired toppings.

No comments: